Monday, January 17, 2011

Annual Ski Trip

Sean's family takes a ski trip every year. This year the ski trip fell on Martin Luther King weekend. The whole family was headed to Kellogg Idaho to ski Silver Mountain. I was unable to go on the annual trip because of my new job but Sean was still planning on going with out me, or so he thought. Sean’s family was going to pick him up Thursday before heading over to Idaho. Thursday morning Sean woke up with pain in his upper abdomen. I thought he was just being a big baby so I left him home to pack and headed on my merry way to work. Throughout the day Sean kept me updated on his pain and was feeling so poorly he was thinking about skipping the trip. As his family came to pick him up the pain had relocated to his RLQ. At this point, Sean's mom and I both insisted that Sean make an appointment to see his Doctor. Finally, after much discussion Sean agreed. Sean’s Doctor sent him straight to the ER where I was able to meet up with him after work. We waited for several hours while the doctors ran blood tests and did a CT scan. At around 10pm we were informed Sean had Appendicitis and his appendix was 1.2mm, about twice the size of a regular appendix. They scheduled Sean for surgery and luckily the on call surgeon was already at the hospital. At 11pm they took him in for surgery (but not before filling out the paperwork for a gallbladder removal instead of appendix removal (YIKES!)). My parents were kind enough to meet me at the hospital to keep me company. At 12:00am we got the OK from the doctor that everything was fine. We raced home to feed the dogs and let them out and then raced back to the hospital just in time to meet up with Sean as he was being transferred to the floor. We kept him company for a while and headed back home for a little sleep before heading to work. My mom had Friday off and volunteered to pick Sean up from the hospital and take care of him until I got off work. Sean's recovery was great. He had no complications and his incisions were the smallest I had ever seen (Way to go, Laparoscopic Surgery!). I must admit though that I am pretty jealous that Sean was able to have his appendix removed. Anyone that knows me knows I have been asking to have mine removed for years and Sean beat me to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment