Saturday, August 20, 2011

Backyard

With Sean away on a bachelor party trip this weekend I had the house to myself!  The first order of business was to plant something in our backyard.  Here is a little background on our backyard situation. Since moving into our house (with the help of the dogs), we have very slowly destroyed our backyard.  It originally was totally barked with several large evergreen trees and bushes galore.  We decided to tear out the bushes as they were not getting enough sunlight and were looking more and more sickly each day.   Next the dogs slowly but surely dug several holes, destroyed the sprinkler system and even some how managed to rid the backyard of the bark.  After a year we decided to try and plant grass, which did not work well as our entire backyard is way too shaded and WET.  Also the dogs thought it was great fun to pull up the sod and toss it around the yard.  Finally we decided it was time to chop down our very large trees.  While Sean was in China I booked a tree cutting down service to come and take care of business.  With the trees gone we have so much more room and sunlight that I think things might actually grow.  AND the dogs are much older so I feel they are less likely to dig up everything we plant back there. 
Enough with the background story.  I headed to Home Depot and picked up a few “Deer Resistant” bushes that were super prickly and appeared super sturdy and planted them in the backyard.   So far the dogs seem to be leaving them alone!  Hopefully this trend continues!
2011-08-20 2011-08-20 002 003
Our first plant!
After Home Depot I ran several errands for myself and ended the day with a meal FULL of tomatoes (Sean HATES tomatoes) and a “chick flick”!
2011-08-20 2011-08-20 001 001
Quinoa with heirloom tomatoes, feta
 and kalamata Olives along with Bruschetta!
I am definitely missing Sean but enjoying my time to myself.  I seem to accomplish so much more when he is gone.  I wonder why that is? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment