Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Herb-Marinated Loin of Pork

First off let me say that I finally did it!  After much deliberation I went out and purchased my very own 5.5qt round Le Creuset Enameled Cast Iron French Oven.  I woke up early and headed down to Crate and Barrel to make my big purchase all thanks to our generous friends and family who sent us crate and barrel gift cards as wedding gifts.  I hadn't decided on the size or shape so I spent quite a bit of time trying to rope the sales associate in to helping me pick which one would best fit my lifestyle. Round or oval? 7 1/4qt, 6 3/4qt or 5 1/2 qt?  All I can say is that I am sure she was happy to see me go.   After standing at the counter debating between my options I finally decided on the round French Oven.  From there I realized that anything over 6qt is actually quite large so I went with the 5.5qt size.  I picked out the Cobalt blue (after debating between Caribbean Blue, Cobalt and Dijon).  So far no buyers remorse.(I honestly get buyers remorse over almost everything in my life; the dogs, the cat, Sean, Nursing school etc...)  My French Oven will be arriving after we return from our honeymoon and I am looking forward to making my very first meal in it; French Onion Soup!


I was so excited with my early morning purchase that it motivated me to cook something from my Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics Cook Book for dinner.  I decided on the Herb-Marinated Loin of Pork since I feel like we eat a lot of the same thing (chicken).  I started early allowing the pork to marinate for several hours before dinner.  The marinade was very simple and contained lemon, rosemary, thyme, and garlic.  I made enough marinade for two pork tenderloins. We ended up grilling one for dinner and the other went directly to the freezer for another night.  To go along with the pork I made roasted red potatoes and yams which I cut into small cubes, drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with sea salt and pepper. I baked them in the oven at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes.  I finished up by turning on the broiler to brown the tops right before I took them out for dinner.  I finished up the meal with a garden salad and a homemade Dijon vinaigrette. (olive oil, finely chopped garlic, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper and moscatel vinegar)  Everything turned out great and was incredibly easy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment